For all you non-drinkers, this DIY drink is for you. After trying an awesome virgin mojito when in London, I thought I'd make it my job to make it myself at home. It's the perfect spring/summer drink, and a great way to serve your friends and family who are over! It's my favorite kind of mock-tail and I hope you enjoy it too!
I am no chef, let alone even being good in the kitchen so bear with me if my directions are ambiguous. Here's what you'll need:
- Ginger ale
- Pellegrino or any kind of Sparkling Water(optional/ you can use all ginger ale, but I like to dilute the ale with the sparking water)
- Lime Juice (I used the Italian Volcano Organic Lime Juice)
- Mint leaves
- Cilantro (optional)
- Sugar (optional)
- Apple Juice (optional)
Let me tell you how I like my drink. FULL OF MINTS, and tasting more than just sweet or sour. I like a bit of depth so I did use pretty much all the ingredients I stated above.
Here's what I did:
- Chop up the mint leaves. I used about one whole batch of them.
- Cut the limes into decent sizes. Make sure you wash them first since they'll be soaking in your drink the whole time!
- Make the juice:
- In one serving cup size, I put in 1/4 cup of lime juice.
- Then, I added 1/2 cup of ginger ale.
- Added just a sip of apple juice (apple soda). Literally, a sip. Nothing too much!
- Topped it with pelligrino to the top.
- Add ice accordingly. (I didn't have ice, so I made sure to make all my drinks really cold before using them).
- Add the mint leaves. More the better.
- Squeeze in some fresh lime, then just drop them into the drink.
- MIX! Let the mint really get soaked with the rest of the drink.
- Pour more ice (if you want)
- THEN, VOILA YOU ARE DONE :)
- You've got yourself a fresh, icey, minty, refreshing sweet tarty VIRGIN MOJITO :)
Tell me if you've ever made a mock-tail before, and what drinks you recommend. If you do try this virgin mojito, send me a link so I can take a look! I love to see it :)